Need a last minute gift for that special beer lover in your life? Stuff their stocking with a tasty, portable brew from local brewers! Here’s a few favorites, readily available from local liquor emporiums in bottles and cans:
- Christmas Ale, Breckenridge Brewery. Yea, yea, we know they’re owned by the big boys- but this seasonal beer is still brewed locally. Easy drinking and flavorful.
- Isolation Ale, Odell Brewing calls it “a sweet-caramel malty ale balanced by a subtle crisp hop finish.” They even offer a green chili recipe using this brew!
- Hibernation Ale, Great Divide Brewing, is “robust, dry-hopped ale has a malty richness balanced with a complex hop profile and hearty, warming character.”
- Old Jubilation Ale is an English Strong Ale from Avery Brewing- who offers this irresistible description: “a gorgeous mahogany hue, a hint of hazelnuts, and a finish reminiscent of mocha and toffee. No spices, just a perfect blend of five specialty malts.”
- Oh Snap! Spiced Winter Ale, from Odyssey Beerwerks “features a pleasant rich malt base with biscuit accents complimented by classic winter cookie spicing and sweet orange peel to provide a suitable sipper for Winter’s cold bite.”
- Other noteworthy beers, not from local brewers:
- Tip! Create a mix ‘n match six pack – they’ll appreciate the variety!
Need a gift to take your host or hostess for a holiday dinner? Instead of wine, try a limited release bomber! Argonaut Liquors on East Colfax has a massive selection, but any decent liquor store likely has at least a few varieties to choose from. Typically higher in alcohol content, so share with your circle of loved ones! We recently enjoyed Holidale, brewed locally by Breckenridge Brewery, with a circle of friends gathered to make tamales. This hearty ale (Breck’s Christmas Ale aged in whiskey barrels) packs a hefty 10.7% ABV, offers smooth vanilla bourbon flavors. Hmmm… sounds perfect for an after-dinner sip around the fire – cheers!
Venture out to local brewers for more tasty seasonal beer action! Here’s a few we’ve heard about…
- Lone Tree Brewing Company will release Horchata Stout bombers later this month
- Station 26 releases Blackberry Milkshake IPA crowlers December 23 ($14/ea) with pints in the taproom.
- Wit’s End Brewing is offering Ugly Sweater, a Belgian-style winter brown ale brewed with roasted pumpkin seeds and palm sugar – sounds intriguing!