“Gluten-free” and “Celiac” are buzz words these days. But they aren’t just a “trendy” ailment to have. Gluten free options are crucial for the 1% of Americans who have Celiac Disease, a serious genetic autoimmune disease that interferes with absorption of nutrients. (Of note, May is Celiac Awareness Month.)
Maintaining a good diet is the best medicine for ailments like Celiac Disease, but even the most diligent dieters occasionally need treats yet baked delights such as birthday cakes, cupcakes and pies are usually out of reach. We have friends for whom a birthday or other baked-good celebration brings on a lot of stress.
To help make treats a possibility for everyone, Kathy Letson, owner of The Gluten Escape, has been offering completely Gluten-free, dairy-free, and allergy-aware baked goods for five years. Her unique kitchen is a dedicated gluten, dairy, soy protein, and peanut free facility with approximately 85% of products also being egg free – a huge bonus for those who also suffer from food allergies.
Kathy’s menu includes cakes, pies, cupcakes, and other unique confections for major holidays and a few minor ones. And, of course, you don’t need a holiday to get yourself a little something sweet.
Here are some of the upcoming holidays Kathy and her team plan to celebrate with fresh-baked gluten-free delights:
- Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday (February 28) – colorful king cakes
- St. Patrick’s Day (March 17) – soda bread, shamrock funfetti cupcakes
- First day of spring (March 20th) – Creamsicle cupcakes topped with fluffy orange frosting, lemon donuts & more
- Easter (April 16) – pastel colored Easter egg cakes
- Mother’s Day (May 14) – heart-shaped cakes for your favorite gluten-free mom
- Graduation (June) – giant decorated cookies for your favorite grad
The Gluten Escape is located at 7255 South Havana St. #110, Centennial.