Planning a romantic outing can take some planning. But sometimes, love makes us lose all sense of time and logic and we find ourselves right up to the last minute with no plans. Here are some of our most popular ideas:
Rent B-Cycles and…
- wander the alleyways of Upper Larimer/RiNo in search of sexy street art and warm up at one of the many eateries;
- tour Denver’s Civic Center after dark, where the dramatic lighting of landmarks sets an impressive backdrop for warm kisses. Top it all off with a refreshment at nearby and sultry FIRE in The ART Hotel;
- meander LoDo and top off your ride with a warming tipple at Union Station, Larimer Square or The Cruise Room at the Oxford Hotel.
Get outdoorsy with an easy going hike…
- Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge, where strolls through the plains, lakes and ponds are a mini-escape from city life, and sightings of buffalo are common;
- Bluff Lake offers a mile loop through a varied habitat where eagles and deer are frequent visitors;
- Pop up to Boulder and traipse around Chatauqua Park’s lower trails and end at the Dining Hall to warm up at a table by the fire;
- To really work up a sweat, Nordic Ski at Devil’s Thumb Ranch and end with a bite and sip at Henry’s Tavern. For a more modest budget, try Grand Lake Nordic Center and an apres ski nosh in the town of Grand Lake.
Stroll the Denver Botanic Gardens, even if the weather is chilly. The sultry Conservatory and heady Orangery are cozy (and steamy). Play I-Spy, looking for heart-shaped flowers and plants – there are many! This can be a fun game for the kids too. A heart-shaped leaf could be worth “love points” of a kiss. Spotting pink or read flowers could be worth a hug, etc. Make up your own rules!
Go to a gallery or museum where you can stroll, hold hands, be impressed, critique and chat. They say that one of the best ways to have a good conversation is when you are side-by-side, in a car or walking. It takes some of the pressure off to not be looking into each other’s eyes.
Dine out on something exotic. The colors, textures, scents and flavors of international cuisine! It’s an adventure and an experience to share. And oftentimes, like in Ethiopian food, you literally share your food from the same platter, eating with your hands. Tradition has it that you should feed each other. Now that has sensuality and romance written all over it! But, uh, pass the napkins, okay?
Visit Tattered Cover Bookstore, and quietly read each other poetry, or sections from romantic stories. Peruse the travel section and make plans. Then…
Go to Denver Union Station and sit at the high-back benches by the exit to the trains, or have a cocktail at the Terminal Bar or, for even more elegance, at The Cooper Lounge upstairs. Let the history, beauty and feeling of possibility and adventure wash over you. Dream of places you would travel together. What if you just bought a ticket right now and…
Keep these ideas in your repertoire when a dose of romance is in order (as it should be every day!) And remember – romance shouldn’t be forced. If you try too hard, it will feel inauthentic. Some of the most romantic times are spent doing the most ordinary, simple things. It’s the thoughts, feelings and intentions behind it all – and, of course, the person you are with.
Leave the driving to someone else. Get yourself to all of these events via Lyft! Use our exclusive code, IGTD2016 with the Lyft App for a $50 credit toward your first rides. For new users only.